//KHARA HAIS MUNICIPALITY
Activities of Centurion Municipal Council
The Centurion local authority has initiated on a small scale a good coordination mechanism by bringing together most of the players including representatives from local vendors groups.
A set of draft “by laws” (attached at Annex I) have also been developed. The steps initiated are as follows: -
Step I : à Formed a coordination committee
Consisting of following members: -
· Representative from Environmental Health (EHO)
· Representative from Traffic Dept
· Representative from Town Planning
· Representative from Engineering Dept
· Representative from Security
· Representative from Hawkers of the area (as needed)
Step II : à Formed by-laws for street food vending
Step III: à Decided on taking up a few selected areas to be
developed at street food centres (depending on the
Eg: - The Station road junction
- Training was however imparted to all street food vendors through use of posters, cassettes, pamphlets etc:
Step IV : à Operationalised a regular system of issuing identity
cards and granting permission against payment of fees to vend at selected/permitted spots of the city by the traffic department.
The various actions being undertaken are:
· Inspection of kiosks by EHO for recommending the application and issue of the certificate of acceptability (regulation 918)
· Liscence issued by the Traffic Dept at a fee of 100 Rand.
· Monthly payment of rent by vendors using street food centres viz 150 Rand for parking of kiosks on 75 Rand for stalls, per month
Step V : Supported specific areas to develop as street food centres and provided with shelters, water sources, latrines, tables, chairs etc.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.